Colonics: Are They Safe & Effective?
Colorectal cancer or bowel cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer, accounting for 12.7 per cent of all cancers in Australia. One in 12 Australians will be diagnosed with bowel cancer before reaching the age of 85. Plenty of lifestyle-related factors are associated with developing colorectal cancer. There are things you can do to protect your colorectal health and lower your risk of developing cancer. Besides living a healthier lifestyle, you can also consider doing colonic hydrotherapy to minimise the cancer risk.
What is Colonic Hydrotherapy?
Colonic hydrotherapy, also known as a colon cleanse or colonics irrigation, is a gentle method involving flushing water into the colon to remove all the waste and toxin buildup. A clean colon allows effective absorption of nutrients and reduces the risk of developing polyps, cysts and possibly cancer. All the toxins that go inside the body from eating, drinking and breathing are processed by the gastrointestinal system, kidneys, and livers. The organs become compromised as toxins and waste encrust around the colon wall, preventing them to perform their optimum function.
How does colonic irrigation work?
Colonic irrigation is typically performed as preparation for medical procedures like colonoscopy. However, some alternative medicine practitioners offer colon cleansing to help remove the toxins and other wastes building around the colon. A trained expert (certified colonic hygienist or hydrotherapist) who uses FDA-approved equipment usually performs the cleanse. A large amount of liquid (water, coffee, herbs) is flushed through the colon through a small nozzle inserted into the rectum. The liquid can be about 16 gallons or 60 litres to hydrate the feces and allow the stool to be eliminated from the body. In some cases, small amounts of liquid are left inside the colon for a short time before elimination for optimum results.
What are the benefits of colonic cleanse?
A colonic cleansing may sound unpleasant but they offer tons of benefits. The health benefits of colonic cleanse include:
● Minimise the risk of colon cancer and other diseases – Removing the stagnant waste and toxins in the body decreases the risk of cysts, polyps, colon cancer and other diseases.
● Prevents constipation – Colonic hydrotherapy can help if you find it hard to pass stool. The body’s digestive response slows down when you have
constipation, leaving the waste in the digestive tract longer and increasing the chance of irritations and other chronic diseases.
● Treats IBS Symptoms (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) – You can manage IBS symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, and abdominal pain with a colon cleanse.
● Helps digestive system function better -The undigested waste is pushed through the digestive system with a cleanse colon. Colonic hydrotherapy creates a clear passage to absorb nutrients better and easier waste elimination.
● Increases focus – The toxin buildup in your body prevents absorption of nutrients regardless of a healthy diet. Poor health and ineffective nutrient and vitamin absorption can lead to a lack of focus. Detoxing the colon can help you stay alert and focused.
● Improves energy -You feel alive and rejuvenated with great colonic health. Colonic irrigation channels the energy that is used for excreting waste through your intestine. People who have tried colonic hydrotherapy reported more restful sleep, improved energy and better mood.
● Kickstarts weight loss – The food that you eat can improve or slow down your digestive tract. As a result, the digestive system is weighed down with pounds of waste and toxins. Colonic irrigation cleanses your colon, speeding up your metabolism.
Is Colonic Cleanse Safe?
Colonic cleansing is generally safe for most people. However, colonic hydrotherapy is not advisable for people with gastrointestinal issues such as diverticulitis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, or ischemic colitis, colon surgery, kidney disease and heart disease. Mild side effects of colonic cleanse are cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, and abdominal pain.
You can check in with your medical provider if you are still on the fence about whether colonic cleanse is right for you or not. It is also essential that you talk to a certified and highly trained hydrotherapist when you decide to do a colonic cleanse. The therapist should be certified by ICHTA (International Colon Hydrotherapy Training Academy) or the National Board for Colon Hydrotherapy (NBCH) to ensure safety and a trusted process.
Colonic cleanse is a generally safe process that helps colon gets rid of toxin and waste buildup. Colonic irrigation offers plenty of health benefits such as preventing constipation and chronic diseases like colorectal cancer. This treatment also improves digestion, focus, mood and energy levels and boosts
metabolism. At Colonic Care, we offer a safe and effective colon cleanse that helps your digestive tract work optimally. Contact us today to book an appointment.